Jefferson County Museum, Charles Town, WV
Located in historic downtown Charles Town, the Jefferson County Museum is dedicated to fostering the understanding and appreciation of the county’s history. Since its founding in 1965, the Museum’s mission has been to preserve the history and heritage of Jefferson County. Its unique collection and exhibits include a wide range of artifacts historically relevant to the county and portray the diverse stories of the people who have lived here.
This is a part-time position of 20-25 hours per week, reporting to the Museum Director. The Museum Assistant is responsible for helping to supervise the work of our volunteers. The successful candidate will have regular weekend availability for Fridays and Saturdays.
Pay is $16-$18/hour depending on experience and education.
-Under the supervision of the Director, coordinate with local educational, historical, cultural, social and civic organizations and other stakeholders to build community partnerships
-Work with the Community Engagement Coordinator to craft creative and well-researched posts and content for the Museum’s website and social media platforms
-Work with Museum staff to design field trips, school visits, public programs and other educational activities for the Museum
-In coordination with the Historian and Director, assist with research and exhibit development
-Assist with promotion of Museum activities and exhibits
-Help with collections research and curatorial duties as needed
-Staff front desk, answer visitor questions, and assist with visitor services activities
-Help with special events and other tasks as assigned
-Bachelor’s Degree in Public History, Education, Museum Studies or related field.
-Experience working and interacting with the public at a museum or historic site
-Experience developing programs and curriculum for a variety of age groups
-Excellent research and writing skills
-Familiarity with social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc.
-Interest in Jefferson County History
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHARLES TOWN LIBRARY
LIBRARY CIRCULATION COORDINATOR
The Charles Town Library located in downtown Charles Town has served the community in its present location since 1927. We are a fine-free library serving the greater community of Jefferson County. The library is currently seeking a circulation coordinator who will guide the day-to-day circulation operations of the library. The position requires reliability, dependability, and flexibility; the ability to work afternoon, evening and weekend hours; and proficiency in the use of computers and a variety of software; and the ability to provide exemplary service to all library users.
Under the general supervision of the Director, the circulation coordinator plans, organizes, and directs circulation desk services. Promotes and maintains a high standard of customer service by providing courteous, welcoming, and professional service to all library patrons. Demonstrates ability to work with a diverse community. Knows, and consistently and accurately employs, library policies and procedures. Plays a key role in resolving circulation related customer service problems.
Responsible for either opening the library each morning or securing the facility in the evening. Also responsible for staff and patron safety while in the building.
Responsible for daily cash handling procedures, accountability and security routines.
Part-time, approximately 25 hours/week, minimum $15/hr., depending on experience and education
· Routine circulation duties, including the supervision of the circulation of library collections
· Answers the telephone in a courteous manner, directs inquiries to appropriate departments, and takes accurate messages
· Makes photocopies, scans, etc.
· Collects and records fees
· Shelves library materials
· Provides patrons with general information on library services, assists and instructs patrons in using library services, equipment, and facilities
· Resolves difficult situations and makes sound decisions related to patron complaints Consults with the director on various issues to ensure timely resolution
· Assists with cataloging of library materials; creates and updates catalog rivers
· Prepares readers’ advisory materials
· Establishes priority of work tasks
· Ensures the collections are in order and neat in appearance
· Works with volunteers to shelve, proofread, and shift stacks
· Maintains newspapers and magazine collections
· Communicates openly, constructively, professionally, and frequently with all staff members.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Strong oral and written communications skills
· Ability to interact courteously and effectively with the public and with other staff
· Ability to respond in an effective manner to the concerns of library patrons
· Ability to understand and interpret library policies, procedures, and rules
· Ability to keep records accurately
· Ability to organize work for efficient use of time and to be able to move seamlessly from one task to another with attention to detail
· Experience using computers including, but not limited to, searching the internet, using email, entering information into a database, word processing and various library related software
· Ability to operate office equipment (photocopy and fax machine)
· Ability to work cohesively as a part of a team
· Ability to take direction and to work independently as well as with others
· Ability to work well under pressure
· Ability to move and/or lift materials up to 25 pounds
· Ability to push a loaded book truck weighing up to 300 pounds
· Regularly required to stand, walk, bend, kneel, crawl, reach, climb, balance, and sit
· Excellent manual dexterity
· Occasional exposure to outside weather conditions
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent life experiences
· A minimum of 1-year experience in a library or comparable setting
· Strong written and verbal communication skills in the English language
· Well-read; awareness of current cultural trends; and a good broad general knowledge of current events
· Punctuality and schedule flexibility is required
Please send a cover letter and resume to the director, Dr. Marcella Genz, at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin on 13 February. Position open until filled.
Leave a Reply